Some reminiscences,some experiences

He felt that his whole life was some kind of dream and he sometimes wondered whose it was and whether they were enjoying it,because he surely wasn't.

Wednesday, November 30, 2005

English Speaking FrenchWOMEN

While in India,I always thought that there isnt a place in world where English wasnt spoken.Despite many warnings from friends and seniors,I remained enterwined with my firm belief and refused to pay much attention to the French course that I was learning.Though my attendance never thinned out(due to some other reasons) but I never thought much of learning French properly.

Needless to say it was a complete shock when people couldnt even understand 'Thank You' here.For example the first day we stepped out of the airport,we missed a 6 euro bus simply because we didnt know how to say 'STOP' in French.(And had to pay 120 euros for 2 taxis afterwards.)
Anyway this post is not about me speaking French but the French trying to speak English.Mine is the only department in INSA where some courses are taught in English.And its really fascinating to see the French students speaking in English.Whenever a French student asks a question in English, a simultaneous jeering and applause breaks out in the class.It reminds me of my teenage years in Bathinda when the person speaking in English was immediately branded as an elitist and made fun of.In fact I used to sneak after the school hours to the library to issue a book to avoid the sneering of my peers....

We have always considered French as snobbish pricks who put too much faith on their language and culture in this age of globalisation.(Though I certainly fear about our culture when half the people whom I meet think that English is India's official language which is ironical considering Indias wealth of languages).But the fact remains that most of them would speak in English if they could,but are just ashamed of their accent and the lack of vocablary.If you know French then they are one of the most amicable persons that I have seen(except Spanish-though this issue would be addressed seperately).It again shows our colonial hangover that we consider everything British and American good.Really the extend to which some French people are helpful towards the foreigners,sometimes I am not able to decide whether we deserve to be called one of the most hospitable cultures around.

So now I will relate 1-2 experiences where some French girls tried to practice English with me.Well first was when in my department a girl came up and said,
Girl: Hi! You are from which country?
Me:(heart skipping a beat) I am from India.
Girl: Can I practice English with you?
Me:(stomach during a somersault now) Why not?Provided you can understand
my accent. (We both laugh but I was quite serious.)
Girl: What do you think about sex before marriage?
Me:(taken aback) What do you mean?
Girl:Well I believe in remaining a virgin till marriage.Isnt it the practice thats
followed in ur country.
(I realize with a gutted feeling that she was trying to justify her decision and wanted my support.)
Me:(trying to be diplomatic) Well some people believe in it but not all.
Girl:Well,what about you?
Me:(In a dilemma) Well I dont think that in this age there must be any
restrictions.
Well after this negation she is quite disappointed and leaves trying to prove her point to a collegue and I am left rueing my luck and the day I inherited the huge losers luck from my good for nothing seniors:((

Well this happened the first time.Now let me recount another experience.We were sitting in an on campus bar and there was a party going on.I was talking to a girl in French.She was part of a group responsible for the exchange students.Well I asked her why she took the responsiblity and she answered that part of the motive was to practice English.Well I was all ears again believing that finally the luck is shining on me.
Me:(After a while) So do live on campus or in the exterior?
Girl: Well on campus.
Me: Do you have a roommate?
Girl:Yeah.
Me:Is she an exchange student?
Girl:No she is a moroccan like me.We are lesbians.
Me:(Eyes popping out) What?
Girl:Yeah,we are lesbians.Is that strange?
Me:(recovering a bit and curiousity taking hold of me) Really!!Well I havent
come accross any lesbian couples before.Its kind of strange to be in the
midst of one.When did you come to know that you were..Ahem..Lesbian?
Girl:(smiling now) Well you seem to be very interested?
Me:(backing of embarassed)No,no Its just that I was.......
Well then laughter breaks all around and she says that ofcourse she isnt lesbian and it was all just a pretence.

Well I came to two conclusions by these incidents.
1) Either my nationality or my body language inspires them to start of on the forbidden topic of sex etc. This hypothesis is made stronger by the fact that I was offered twice an invitation for the stripbar at Cannes and Nice while innocently roaming around near the beach.
2) French learn most of their english words from the movies and thus they absorb such topics as sex and gay stuff more than other topics leading to a better vocablary on these topics.Thats why while trying to strike a conversation they take up the most convenient route of expression.
3)Ab main apne bhagya ke baare mein kya kahoon.....After that I havent tried speaking in English with any French girl.

So this is the story of Anglais speaking French people.Though the way the French system works its absolutely unnecessary for the French to learn Englis .They find all the books,movies and educational material in English.One of the effects of the above incidents has been me professing ignorance of the knowledge of good English.

17 Comments:

Blogger Siddhartha Banerjee said...

'Either my nationality or my body language inspires them to start of on the forbidden topic of sex etc....'

Your body language...what the hell were you doing with your body language???:D

6:43 PM  
Blogger mithrandir said...

Well hazard a guess.I am just assuming that something must be wrong considering the predictable path the two conversations took.
Waise u are welcome to reach make any other conclusions if u like but do share ur views with me.
And finally thanks for commenting on the blog:))

3:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Apart from the very curious statement that bofi has already pointed out, a very nice post. So you ARE making full use of your stay in France.

4:28 AM  
Blogger The Reader said...

Dude ! Your stories are the best :)

8:56 AM  
Blogger The Reader said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:56 AM  
Blogger mithrandir said...

Arnav: Well thank you very much for taking time off to comment on this blog.Yours was the first blog that I read.
Evryone is ignoring the fact that 'it' was only one of the reasons that I thought possible and other conclusions are equally plausible.
Well I am having a good time though not sure if making full use of it!!

Aidoneus: Thanks for the compliment if it was intended as one.Though I would say they lack the comic punch tht ur stories with u playing the role of a protagonist present.

4:07 PM  
Blogger Phoenix said...

If everyone is neglecting the remaining conclusions, it's only logical..:P
the body language statement is soo intriguing:P

God, u seem to be ahving a lot of fun in France with so many French gals and 'sensitive' bond-formation exercises with them.;)
Needless to say, I cdn't spot one Frenchguy in the whole post:P
Way to go!

Ur post, as in the language part remins me of my hukka:))

but OMG, wat r u doing, let them believe int he misbelief na abt India beign 'forbidden land'. It'll mean brownie points for u:D

Anyway, enjoy ur invitations to strip bars, while teachign some interestign ppl soem interesting English!!

nice post:D

9:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

probably....and you shouldn't hurry yourself into believing that...the women were not interested in your body language but, your sexy bawdy(not so tall, dark and handsome)...and the loser you are you couldn't take it forward ;)

2:17 AM  
Blogger mithrandir said...

Phoenix: Thank You very much for ur esteemed presence on this blog.
Dunno if u like the taste or not considering that I dont have much philosophical stuff but routine experiences to share.
Well I do have my priorities right!!No alternative after IIT..wotsay
Why hukka?Didnt get the import of the statement.Please be more specific so tht I can decide to take it as a compliment or otherwise:)
U dont know,its better to flare up ppls curiosity abt India becoz thts the way they love it not as metallica or maiden crazy ppl.

Sammy: Well the incidents doesnt seem to reflect any such optimism on my part.And you of all ppl shld know better.
sirjee bas yahi kehta hai aapka experience!!!

10:57 AM  
Blogger inhas said...

i think you were modest with your first one.. keep your stories going...

4:56 PM  
Blogger Phoenix said...

Esteemd presence?!?!?!:O
Was that sarcastic?
Do u even know who I'm?
:o

And cmon how can u say wat is and isnt MY taste. I'm no philosophy freak Ankur sir:)

Yes, u got ur priorities right:P
IIT's pretty bad:D

Ah, my hukka was indian writing in english actually..
and all the language talk reminded me of the wierd major i ahve written.
Ask shalabh for details ont he crse:P

U're right..i was only saying that smtimes portraying the good-Indian-boy image helps score points in front of hot foreign babes.
(from wat my frnds abroad tell me:d)

9:51 PM  
Blogger Robert Frust said...

Great post.
Also, seconding Aidoneus, your stories really are the best! It'll be a shame if you don't write a book after all the experiences you seem to be attracting there.
Thanks for visiting mine, btw.

2:26 AM  
Blogger mithrandir said...

Inhas: Thanks for the optimism shown in my abilities.And yeah the person that I am,the stories will keep on coming.

Phoenix: Well now u are really questioning my PR skills.Comeon do u really think I dont know u!!

And the word 'esteemed' was used in appreciation of ur writing skills and not abt ur social status.Tell me is it necessary to 'know' u for lauding those.Anyway its quite pointless discussion mam.
I understand the Indian Writing part.Also did the Hukka in my first sem.It was quite cool though the teacher tried her best to make us doze off.

Shalabh: Hey thanks Frust for the visit.Lets take it one advise at a time.I have started blogging lets see how far it continues:))

3:41 AM  
Blogger Phoenix said...

Oh I'm so sorry...I just had to trust in ur PR skills
:D
No ofmeant, I was just a little intrigued:P
Yes, it's pointless. Lets leave it here.
Thankyou for watever little appreciation u have shown for m writing skills, though i have to say urs are only better.
about the hukka, did u by chance do it under Kallury?:P

6:23 AM  
Blogger zubin said...

Absolutely fabulous..thats all I can say..and you blame it all on your good for nothing seniors..Had we got opportunities like you did, we would have seen and done it all. Anyways, it is a great post, and you sure are funny. Reading you reminds me of that Amol Palekar types bhola-bhala hero in Mumbai. And you sure suit yourself that way. And its great reading you. Keep Blogging!!!

11:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent, love it! » » »

12:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoyed a lot! Powerful necklaces online degree Epson scanning software online roulette http://www.provider-dsl.info pay per click advertising Kitchen remodeling painting Camera digital pentax productpage http://www.popup-blocker-9.info shirt Reduce paper consumption virtual fax Butt naked male strippers new york Oxycontin direct credit report Diet+drug+meridia

4:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home